Monday, February 4, 2013

Signing Off On January

I have been horrible with my most obvious New Year's Resolution of: blogging more regularly. Truth be told, I've decided to shift that goal into just plain journaling more - I busted out my old notebook, bought a new one yesterday, and received a pack of mini-journals from a friend a few days ago. We'll see if this any more fruitful...

Flushed with fever
Gary was gone for almost 2 weeks in a row (working late, getting home LATE before leaving for Vegas for the rest of the week; home for a 1.5 weekend, leaving for Chicago on Sunday evening for the remainder of last week). We knew Gary would be gone a lot these next few months since back in December, so I planned to spend last week down in San Diego with my parents. The night before I planned on leaving, however, Daniel came down with a fever that came and went over the course of three days. It was just the fever though, as terribly hot to the touch that he was. He was in good spirits though, never fighting me to cart him back and forth to the store (first, for dinner; second, because I as unknowingly low on Tylenol and ran out before his second dose), and slept off and on with me keeping somewhat of a vigil over him. I didn't get much sleep last night, to say the least.

Daniel was fever-free on Monday morning so we left, and he was in good spirits even when his fever returned later that day. Had I known this would happen, I would have kept us home, but having my parents there was extremely helpful during the first part of the week. Then on Thursday, a rash developed on his trunk. It never really spread onto his extremities, but it was enough for me to finally consult the triage nurse at his Pediatrician's office. The RN said it may be Roseola and said it would pass on its own with little side effect. After I did a little research myself, the description sounded exactly like what Daniel has experienced with the fevers and then with the rashes. It was all gone by Saturday morning, but  not before becoming inconsolable over the last few days of our trip.

Not a happy camper, this one.
Everything upset him, he wouldn't let ANY of us hold him, and he slept horribly  No naps, awake every few hours at night, crying, ugh. I felt like a mother of a newborn all over again. I know it was a combination of a few factors on top of the illness that really made the tail-end of our trip a total disaster. However comfortable he is in my parent's home, at the end of the day, it isn't home. It wasn't his home where his toy box and TV and bathtub and most of all, where our bed is. And also, Gary's presence was very greatly missed. I'm so sad that he was acting the way he was because I thought being at my parents home, which he's comfortable with, would be okay for a week.

We are still adjusting to the changes in Gary's new schedule; he'll be gone again for most of next week. We will be spending it at home, as I really don't want to relive last week anytime soon.

Going off on a semi-tangent, something I haven't really talked about on here at all is the fact that Daniel is now completely weaned. As of the 12th of January, he became a whole-milk drinking big toddler; In the beginning my heart ached slightly at the thought of my baby boy growing up so fast and no longer needing me in that way, but as the weeks rolled by I noticed a tremendous amount of growth and maturity in him that I don't think we would have noticed as much if he were still nursing.

First of all, he is a phenominal sleeper now. It only took 14 months, but it's better now than never! He sleeps, on average, 10 hours straight at night (9 pm to 7 am) and naps 2 hours in the early afternoon w/ a quick power nap (45 minutes to an hour, tops) in the early evening to get him through dinner, bath, and more play. He doesn't need ANY help falling asleep now aside from the occasional back patting/rub, but even that is dwindling. Last night, we laid down in bed around 8 pm to wind down and watch Tangled (I love that movie!) and he was out, all on his own, by before 8:30! I was blown away! One minute, we're watching the movie and the next, I look over and see he's knocked out! I spent the remainder of the movie reading in bed (currently reading Cloud Atlas, a great read so far). And now, he has a very specific daily schedule: awake around 7 (8, if I'm lucky), play and breakfast, lay down for a nap around 11, nap for a few hours, late lunch, more play, little nap around 5 if he needs one, dinner, a bath (if I didn't give it to him earlier), wind down and hopefully asleep by 9. Every single day, it's like this. I never thought my routine-less little infant would turn into a toddler who put himself into his own schedule!

We're shopping around for a new apartment for when we have to move in March/April and because of his age now, we're looking at a 2 bedroom so he can have a place to call his own! He'll be 17 months when we finally move, so I'm hoping to transition him into a toddler bed. My mom bought us a crib for him, which largely went unused over the past 14 months because he much preferred sleeping with us. It is a convertible crib, we just need to buy the parts to convert it. And of course, I'm looking for cute, funky decor to deck out his first bedroom - I am loving Ikea's children line!

Daniel's Room Inspiration Board
And of course, January 25th was my birthday! Your's truly is officially 28 years (young!), in what is considered my late twenties, and I feel... absolutely no different. Haha.


  1. Happy belated birthday! And good luck with the apartment hunting...I know it can be exciting but also stressful! The bedroom furniture you posted for Daniel is really really cute


    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to the move, we have long since outgrown our current space!